This page provides information on the Live Link feature in Chaos Vantage.
The Live Link feature makes it possible to instantly see changes made in a V-Ray compatible DCC without the need to export and import .vrscenes in Chaos Vantage.
Live Link Setup
For Live Link to function properly please follow the steps below:
Live Link works only with officially released V-Ray 5 versions or stable nightly builds.
2.1 Install Chaos Vantage. Make sure in the advanced section in the installer you have Install V-Ray for 3ds Max Live Link option enabled. It automatically installs the Live Link option, Export and send the .vrscene to Chaos Vantage, as well as the Import Changes from Chaos Vantage tools compatible with 3ds Max versions 2019, 2020 and 2021.
The Live Link scripts are automatically installed with V-Ray 5 for 3ds Max, update 1 and later.
V-Ray for 3Ds Max Live Link script option will only be available if V-Ray 5 for 3ds Max is installed.
After installation Live Link can be initiated by either of 2 ways:
Initiate Live Link to Vantage MAX script
Use the Initiate Live Link to Vantage MAX script in 3ds Max. For convenience you can drag-n-drop it from ||Customize|| > Customize User Interface > Toolbars > Chaos Vantage > Initiate Live Link to Vantage in any toolbar for faster access. Click on the Initiate Live Link to Vantage button and a live link session will be initialized between 3ds Max and Chaos Vantage. The script will automatically:
- Detect if you are using V-Ray 5 GPU as a renderer and ask if you would like to switch to it.
- Start Chaos Vantage if it is not already running.
- Send the scene to Chaos Vantage on 20701 port
In 3ds Max
1. Set V-Ray GPU 5 as renderer.
2. Enable Distributed rendering in the Perf. tab.
3. Open the Render Servers dialogue:
3.1 Add a new server with the following settings:
- Server – add your local machine as as server. Enter either localhost or 127.0.0.1
- Port range – specify a port range for which Chaos Vantage awaits incoming data. By default it is 20701
3.2 Disable local host to reduce resource usage
3.3 Close the Render Servers dialogue by clicking the OK button.
In Chaos Vantage
1. Open Chaos Vantage.
2. Open the Live Link menu and make sure Start Server is enabled (greyed out). If Start Server on Application Start is enabled every time Chaos Vantage is launched in stand-by mode and wait for incoming data.
3. Setup port range in Change Port.. menu and make sure the range entered here matches the one set in 3ds Max. Default is 20701.
In 3ds Max again
Open the VFB and hit on the Render button to start IPR.
Once a Live Link session is started the scene is transferred to Chaos Vantage, a thick blue contour line appears around the viewport and the status message in the lower right changes to [LIVE LINK]
The Pause when app loses focus option in the Preferences menu will be ignored when in Live Link session.
To stop a Live Link session either click again on the Initiate Live Link to Vantage button or open the VFB and stop the IPR.
The following changes made in 3ds Max will be propagated through Live Link:
- Editing, creating and deleting of:
The following require a restart of the Live Link Session in order to be updated properly.
- Updating of:
- V-Ray Proxy files (.vrmesh)
- Light textures (e.g. rectangle light texture, dome light texture)